Singing – My #WOTW

By | June 3, 2017

This week’s one word to sum up our week could be illustrated by a picture, our D:

Singing and loving it.
This picture was taken at a superstars concert at school, there’s also a video which we’ve played a few times and wanted to burst with pride watching her singing and smiling at the applause she received at the end.  She sang “Rule The World” by Take That, a lovely song which I will always associate with our girl now.

You might think, D? Really? Her mum’s always mentioning her anxieties, sometimes so crippling that D can’t go into a supermarket or walk past strangers, really?

Well, the concert was rehearsed over and over, both at school and by D singing at home.  It’s something that she knew was happening and how long exactly the song would go on for, D also kept her eyes firmly on a music teacher at the back of the room who was encouraging everyone participating and signing the lyrics.

A bit different to not being prepared, not knowing how many people would be in a shop/walking toward her and the sensory issues associated with an area full of strangers.

Singing and music are something that D really enjoys, I’m glad, I do too.  Music has the ability to lift a mood, to remember happy times and not-so happy ones, to provoke memories you’d thought were long gone.

Singing is also a useful way for me to talk to D if she’s over anxious, I’ve found that if I sing something I want to say, she’ll respond, maybe it’s the change of pitch.

It’s also been our wedding anniversary this week, 15 years married and 17 years together, both celebrated on the same date, 30th May.

We went out for lunch – having prepared D – and she did very very well, reading her book in between courses to take herself away from the noises and smells as the other diners ate their food.  It was lovely.

And this was our picture from D, she’s got us both down to a T, except I very rarely wear dresses, maybe I should sometime! D’s favourite part was drawing the roses, she told us.

It would be lovely if she could do some sort of art course at college when the time comes, although having said that, I don’t know how she’d get on with tasks where she didn’t have specific instructions, something to look into.

How’s your week been?

Charlie Beswick on June 3, 2017 at 7:15 am.

Well done D! I hope she felt super proud of herself too. Its a great achievement. My son is autistic too and non verbal but has played the piano since he was 3. Theres definitely something magical about music with our children. Its reassuringly predicable and exciting at the same time. Lovely blog to read 🙂

Jeannette on June 4, 2017 at 8:41 am.

Thank you Charlie and how wonderful for you that you can experience your son’s love of music through the piano. Moments like those make everything so worthwhile don’t they x

Sam, Memories and Mayhem on June 3, 2017 at 8:55 am.

Well done to your daughter! It must be so wonderful to see her overcome her fears and do something that she really loves. Happy anniversary too! xx

Jeannette on June 4, 2017 at 8:39 am.

It was amazing, thanks Sam x

Keri Jones on June 3, 2017 at 11:56 am.

I love reading posts like this. Your pride jumps off the screen. So pleased for you all. Really love the picture too xx

Jeannette on June 4, 2017 at 8:38 am.

Thanks Keri, always lovely to see the children happily performing in front of very proud parents x

The Reading Residence on June 3, 2017 at 5:45 pm.

Ah, well done D! You must have been so proud, performing and gifting you that beautiful drawing, too. A belated Happy Anniversary to you both x Thanks for sharing with #WotW
The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 2/6/17My Profile

Jeannette on June 4, 2017 at 8:38 am.

Thanks, it was so lovely to see and hear her singing, so proud x

Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) on June 5, 2017 at 10:22 am.

How lovely that D enjoyed singing in the concert and what a proud moment for you. Well done to her too for having the confidence to take part. Happy anniversary to you and your hubby and I love the drawing that D drew of you. #WotW