Nailing it!

By | May 17, 2017

Let me take you back a few years….

Just over three.  It was a revoltingly wet and windy January day and Hubbie and I were putting up a trampoline in our garden.

Quite why we didn’t wait until the weather was better, I can’t remember but anyway..

Trampolines are quite easy to assemble aren’t they, until you get to the part where the springs have to be streeeeeetched to attach the jumping pad to the frame, it starts off fine but as you near completion, it gets more and more tricky.

And that’s when it happened, I crushed the nails of my right hand against the frame.  Ouch! I knew as soon as it had happened that I’d damaged my nails but luckily my fingers were okay, joint-wise.

It didn’t take long for the nails to show me just how damaged they were as they bruised as they tried to grow out, not helped a while later by them getting shut in a car door (as you do)!

So, whilst I was at the doctors the next time for something unrelated, I mentioned my nails, which were by now very sorry for themselves – breaking and splitting – and the doctor referred me to dermaology.

The dermatologists were very thorough, insisting on blood tests for everything and, even though I knew exactly why my nails were refusing to grow, they wanted to check and double check that they wasn’t anything underlying.  This whole investigative process took about two years as they needed nail clippings (difficult when they grow erratically) and some of the nail bed.

It was baffling them and the dermatologist wanted to have me attend a junior doctors teaching clinic, where they could all have a look and try and to ascertain what was going on underneath my nails,   I had visions of Carry On films with lots of characters in white doctors coats!

In the end, hurrah, something turned up in some test results, some kind of bacteria had affected the nail beds on my nails which was why they couldn’t grow back undamaged.  Understandable really as they were so exposed to anything nasty lurking.

Want to see how they looked last December?

Sorry for that, absolutely gross weren’t they? The thumb nail had a spoon-like indentation, the next finger’s nail was growing claw-like and the second-to-last nail would grow a tiny bit and then break and split right back down, I also had no nail bed on that nail and very little in the others, you could practically lift the nail up and peer down! Urgh.

So, that’s them at their worst.  I have a shellac manicure every three weeks or so and the beautician would cover up my nails with a (usually) glittery nail coat as this texture masked the dreadful nails underneath, she’d also paint me a nail over the one that refused to grow, it made me feel a bit better that way.

Last December, I also started a course of Terbinafine, as recommended by the Dermatologist, from his findings.  These tablets were strong (250mg) revolting to take (affecting my sense of taste) and, because they can affect liver function, I had to have a blood test before taking them, a week after starting them and then monthly for the three months I was prescribed them.

The liver function aspect did worry me and my GP got concerned too, saying that I may need further tests if the liver functioning didn’t improve after I’d stopped taking the tablets.

The course of tablets stopped at the end of February and thankfully, in a blood test a month ago (mid April) my liver is back to “normal ranges”.  I was a bit cautious as to whether my nails would continue to improve after stopping the tablets but this was yesterday:

Lovely healthy pink growth! I’m especially so pleased with the one that wouldn’t grow at all (second in on the left) it’s even grown to the extent it needed filing yesterday and, in all the time I’ve been having shellac on my nails to cover them up, that’s never happened!

It also means that, as the nails have grown out nearly all of the damage, I can wear varnishes that enhance the nails rather than hiding behind a glittery surface, like this funky colour:

It’s taken a good while to get to this and preserverance from the dermatologist and the beautician, but yay, I’m so pleased!

My little #SmallStepsAmazingAchievements which has really helped my wellbeing whilst waiting for an op date.

Erica Price on May 17, 2017 at 11:44 am.

Wow they really have improved haven’t they? I’ve been concerned that mine seemed weaker and have been trying a few things to strengthen them.
Erica Price recently posted…The SixerMy Profile

Jeannette on May 17, 2017 at 12:30 pm.

Thanks Erica, they def have. Mine were an extreme case but I’ve tried Viviscal tablets before for my nails and they grew brilliantly & very strong on my “good” hand, might give them another try now that my nail beds are fixed x

Ann from Rainbows are too beautiful on May 17, 2017 at 12:43 pm.

Wow! Well now they look great. Who even knew that could happen!#ssamazingacheivements
Ann from Rainbows are too beautiful recently posted…WonderfulWednesday: PDA Awareness DayMy Profile

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:05 am.

Thanks Ann, they’re my little (but mega for me) achievement :)

Amy | All Things Amy on May 18, 2017 at 1:06 pm.

Oh my goodness, that must have been awful for you! Such a difference now though, and looking so much healthier. Love the nail varnish colour!
Amy | All Things Amy recently posted…Promoting Breastfeeding ISN’T A Criticism Of FormulaMy Profile

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:04 am.

Thanks, I normally have a purple/blue/green nail colour so this was a bit of a change for me, really like it :)

Devon Mama on May 18, 2017 at 1:28 pm.

Oh blimey, that looks so nasty!! Such a good idea to cover them in the glittery polish though to distract from them, they look so so so much better now, must be a relief after all this time! x

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:03 am.

It sure is :) I was happy to “mask” all the horrible nails but mega pleased they’re healthy now.

Emma on May 18, 2017 at 1:39 pm.

Ah wow, it sounds like you’ve been through quite a lot to make it to this stage! Well done on perservering and I’m glad you are now ok with healthy looking nails. x
Emma recently posted…Beauty – Boosting Radiance with BotanicsMy Profile

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:02 am.

Thank you, me too. Very pleased that they’re healthy again :)

Katie on May 18, 2017 at 2:15 pm.

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe all that started from putting up a trampoline! (Although they are hard to do those bloomin’ springs lol!) Your nails do look so much better now though, glad you finally got to the bottom of it x
Katie recently posted…Comment on Mental Health Awareness Week: Anxiety  by evenangelsfall89My Profile

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:02 am.

Thank you, me too. I was very sceptical about taking them – esp with the liver side effect – but v glad they’re now sorted :)

Jasmin N on May 18, 2017 at 2:43 pm.

Oh my goodness, that must’ve been awful to go through! Luckily they’re looking so much better now :-) & I bet that they feel a whole lot better too!

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:01 am.

Thanks, it’s amazing how quickly they grew once the tablets started working :)

Life As Mrs D on May 18, 2017 at 3:07 pm.

Wow, the change in your nails since taking that medication is amazing! I’m glad it has worked. Love the funky nail polish too. I think I may be put off ever putting together a trampoline now though!!

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 6:00 am.

Yes, I’m very reluctant to go near the blooming bouncy thing now! Thanks for the comment :)

Alison on May 18, 2017 at 6:10 pm.

Well done for persevering and don’t your nails look fabulous now!

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 5:59 am.

Thanks, the manicurist has been so patient with them, so pleased :)

Deb on May 18, 2017 at 7:55 pm.

You must be feeling so much better. And that nail polish is cool.

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 5:58 am.

Thanks, I am. Felt brill to see so much healthy growth :)

Musings of a tired mummy...zzz... on May 18, 2017 at 8:10 pm.

I feel a bit bad about making a fuss when I bent a nail backwards and ripped it into the pink. Not bad compared to your story. Glad everything is finally improving and you can have a manicure again!
Musings of a tired mummy…zzz… recently posted…Day in the life of me! (Wednesday 17th May)My Profile

Jeannette on May 19, 2017 at 5:58 am.

That sounds painful! Thanks for the comment :)