Stats – Mon 30th Nov 2015

By | November 30, 2015

Stats, T loves them, can’t get enough of them.

From when he could write a number almost, it’s been compiled and itemised.  Page after page after page of teams with player stats, anticipated league tables and results – for both real football games and games he’d play on FIFA.

He’s 13 now and I was sorting something out in his room today, being Mrs Nosey I had a peek at the book under his pillow.  I don’t know what I’d been expecting but it was a book of Minecraft characters and his own stats and facts around them, bless him.

We’ve had his school report home.  I say school report, but it’s one of those ladder-type charts where every subject and his performance is ranked against what they’d anticipate for him.

It made for interesting reading.

The majority of the chart was a yellow colour, yellow meaning “good” for both attitude to learning and homework.

Now, this is where I fall out with this charts, because “good” means that.  It means he’s doing alright, so why isn’t it green?  It doesn’t exactly send out positivity does it.

Where T falls down a bit with “improvement needed” is those subjects where he’s required to use imagination – difficult with autism in the mix – Drama, Food Technology (Cooking!), Music and Design Technology.  Again, I had a little “grrr” at this because he’s trying his best but, like his mum, he’s not a “whoopee, here I am!” type of person, he never will be, he prefers the black and white way of life and not the flamboyant grey.

As long as he’s achieving in the core subjects and those he enjoys, we’re happy. He does struggle with the textures, sensations and smells (sensory) during Food Technology so it’s a safe bet that he won’t be choosing to take that to exam level, when he chooses his options in January.

I sometimes feel that they don’t take into account his autism, he is so good at masking any emotion and then off-loading it.

We’re proud of our stat-loving young man, he has such a capacity for learning and absorbing facts, in the right subjects (for him) he’ll go far.

Lisa Savage on 2nd December 2015 at 10:34 am.

The important things are being aced – I’d be so happy to see that. Sod the rest of the subjects. Unless you’re going to go any further in them, they’re not that useful in life. Who knows, maybe you’ve got a statistician on your hands. My husband loves stats (he aced that bit of his Psychology degree) He recently found this. Thought it might give you both a stats based chuckle http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:44 am.

Thanks for the link!
I think we probably will have an a antsy on our hands, he’s always been so into them.
Very much agree with the “s*d the rest!!” X

Catie: Imperfect Mum on 2nd December 2015 at 11:53 am.

You are so right. It drives me mad to see these colour coordinated things now. I am much more interested to talk about the progress made. We know that there are always going to be certain elements that will be difficult. Let’s focus much more on the positives. Our report is different. There was a discussion around the big lad’s score being unrealistic but thank god the lovely special needs lady intervened and said no they aren’t they are realistic to him and they are what he achieved with the support he has. I could have kissed her!

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:42 am.

I can imagine, how great that you have the support.
In a way, it feels more of a challenge for T because of the lack of SN support as he’s unstatemented and extremely good at masking emotion, he’s just expected to get on with it. X

Sarah MumofThree World on 2nd December 2015 at 3:40 pm.

It sounds like he’s doing really well. The core subjects and the subjects that matter to him are really the only ones that matter. Good luck for the options! We did ours in January this year and my son is now working on his GCSE courses (not as hard as I would like, but that’s another story!).

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:40 am.

Thanks Sarah, good luck to your son, I remember it took a while for me to find a study method that worked for me (music in background and lots of highlighters!), hope your son gets on okay x

mummyshire on 2nd December 2015 at 10:36 pm.

Gosh, choosing which exams to take at 13 just seems so young! But it sounds like he’s doing really well and I agree with you, colour coding is quite harsh and if you’re going to do it, not following more traditional colours to celebrate ‘good’ doesn’t sent out the right message. But it sounds like he’s doing really well on his core subjects, and his other choices will no doubt just fall into place.
xx

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:39 am.

Thanks, it does seem so young! As long as his core subjects are okay, we’re okay (apart from the occasional grrr!) x

Coombe Mill (Fiona) on 2nd December 2015 at 10:37 pm.

Well done your little man, sounds like he is doing well and a little more understanding from school on the arty subjects would be good. Popping by from Small Steps Amazing Achievements

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:38 am.

It sure would, as long as he’s happy with what he chooses, that’s the main thing 🙂

Silly Mummy on 3rd December 2015 at 10:26 pm.

Love that he has his own Minecraft stats! Useful skill and interest, being able to understand stats. I think a lot of things are not taken into account for all kids, let alone taking account of autism, when they start being charted and scored. But that’s how it’s done. I think, as you say, you just have to try not to get wound up and take the view that actually those areas where you feel he is done a disservice may matter to the school for their reports but are not going to matter in the scheme of T’s life, as he can just drop them and focus on what he finds he is more suited to. #SSAmazingAchievements

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:37 am.

So agree, it’s quite challenging getting school to recognise that he will struggle with the topics that need creativity and imagination but… in the long run, he’ll do very well in the subject he enjoys x

wendyg06 on 8th December 2015 at 10:57 am.

It is great that T is doing so well. Like you say he will go very far, he has a supportive family behind him. It means a lot xx

Jeannette on 8th December 2015 at 11:36 am.

Thanks lovely, as long as he’s happy in his own skin, that’s all that matters to us xx