Unity – 17th Sept 2015 #WOTW #R2BC

By | September 17, 2015

You know me, I’m always trying to err on the side of positivity but I’ve found this week hard.  Flipping hard.

The challenges this week have been:

Hubbie’s dad has whizzed in and out of hospital again.  The initial symptoms are still there and he’s (FIL) frail.  Further investigations early next week might bring some diagnoses.  Google is no help at times like this, apart from scaring you silly.

Poor old D.  Injection time yesterday and it will awful, she gets stronger with every passing month and can put up quite a fight (she did).

It’s been difficult to think of a word to sum up the week, sometimes it’s easier, this week wasn’t, but anyway it’s:

Unity because (the R2BC bit):

We are very familiar with anxiety here, it can sweep over D and engulf her in a metaphorical cloud of fear, sometimes it’s apparent it’s on the way, sometimes it creeps up behind her and covers her.  But it’s always around, either ticking away beneath the surface or announcing itself (eg during injection time).

I’ve started a six week course on “Understanding and Managing Anxiety” within D’s school, it’s interesting.  It’s also a chance to talk to other parents who have the same referee/juggling act of balancing emotions with two very different but similar autistic children.  It will benefit our family.   And…instead of cowering and thinking “flipping heck, everyone will stare at me” when we did the introductions and what we hoped to gain from the course, I smiled and said my bit and I was first!

I’ve also been a busy little bee with Comms and Events work for T’s football club.  It’s voluntary but time-consuming , it’s been a steep learning curve and I’m getting to know contacts and where a request best fits quickly.  It’s interesting too.  Shame I’m not paid in mochas!

T will play a game this weekend, there’ve been friendlies but this will be his first competitive match of the season.  He’s looking forward to it and enjoyed training tonight, which is brilliant after all the changes in the summer.

D has had an up and down week (still no timetable), she has a hospital appointment tomorrow and then we’ll have a girlie lunch.  I’m looking forward to the latter and so is she.

My head feels like it’s spinning.  But it’s good to face challenges, to feel the fear (I guess), I came off my little happy pills completely a month ago and feel fine, 1000% more positive than this time last year – despite all the above.

How’s your week been?

Louise George on 18th September 2015 at 6:43 am.

Sounds like it has been a very challenging week – so glad to hear that you are feeling positive though and meeting those challenges in such a positive way. Hope T enjoys playing in his first competitive match of the season and that D enjoys the girlie lunch with you.

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:59 pm.

Thanks Louise, we had a lovely girlie lunch and T’s team won *yay*!

Kyles (Bookish Mummy) on 18th September 2015 at 7:10 am.

Wow, sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate! I hope that the course proves to be useful and informative. Good luck with it all!

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:58 pm.

Thanks, I’m hoping it will help me with my juggling and refereeing at home 🙂

Redpeffer on 18th September 2015 at 8:14 am.

That’s good to hear, well not the tricky stuff but you know what I mean-it’s great to feel strong despite the challenges. And brilliant achievement in the group session 🙂

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:58 pm.

I do know what you mean 🙂 x

Jocelyn (@ReadingRes) on 18th September 2015 at 11:58 am.

I’m glad you’re still feeling and finding positives. You’ve a lot going on, plenty to challenge you. Sounds like the group sessions are good, and well done on speaking up first! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:57 pm.

Thanks Jocelyn, I was a tad proud of myself!! Most unlike old me x

LakesSingleMum on 18th September 2015 at 3:31 pm.

Its great when you can find positives on a bad week. The good things do sound fab 🙂

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:57 pm.

Thanks Becky, it has been a good one, busy but good.

Kim Carberry on 18th September 2015 at 7:19 pm.

Good for you for finding the positives of not the best week!
Good luck to T in the football match x

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:56 pm.

Thanks Kim, it was extremely busy and a tad stressful! T’s team won today *yay* x

The Collage Queen on 19th September 2015 at 12:20 pm.

I wonder whether the course you are doing is like the one I’ve done. Keep looking for those positives. #WotW

Jeannette on 19th September 2015 at 2:55 pm.

Thanks, will do. The course is run by a department of Reading Uni researching autism, same as you? It’s going to be very useful I hope 🙂

The Collage Queen on 19th September 2015 at 5:46 pm.

No I did the Mental Health First Aid course

Jeannette on 21st September 2015 at 1:52 pm.

That sounds interesting 🙂

xOjox on 19th September 2015 at 6:49 pm.

That sounds like a good course. Our school has just started a family link, hopefully we will have things like this there x

Jeannette on 21st September 2015 at 1:53 pm.

It’s definitely worth doing, some of it is very basic but I’m hoping there will be useful strategies etc x

mummyshire on 21st September 2015 at 12:22 pm.

Keep finding the positives, there are always there somewhere, although I know it can be a challenge at times. And well done you for standing up and being the first to speak at your course – I always get nervous at those bits as I never know what to say!! I hope Ts first competitive match goes well & you have a good week xx

Jeannette on 21st September 2015 at 1:54 pm.

Thanks, T’s team won (yay!) xx