My Word For The Week

By | December 5, 2014

Yes, we’re into December, the end of term is a fortnight away and Glitter (our Elf on the Shelf) is flitting around, finding new places daily, but the one word to sum up our week is:

IMG_4764.JPG

We all have it. This hacking, dry, annoying, sleep-disturbing cough.

Even the cat (well, the one that bothers to go out anyway). She’ll head out into the pre-dawn when Hubbie gets up, off “on patrol” and then return damp, fluffy with a tail to rival a fox and “meow-squeak-cough!” She even follows D and I part-way when we walk to school and waits in all weathers, squeaking as soon as she sees me. Silly but loyal moggie!

If I had a £1 for every time I’ve said “cover your mouth when you cough” or “take little sips of water”, then I’d have quite a few. But if they’re “zoned out”, (cat aside) they take no notice and carry on hack….hack…hack.

The upside I guess, is that:
a) we’ve all got it at the same time, which hopefully means it won’t get passed around
and
b) we might have sent it away by D’s school singing performance next week and the week after

T is taking great delight in trying to make me laugh on the walk home from school, which generally results in a few squeaks and then a coughing fit (from me) which occasionally backfires on him and then he’ll start hacking too.

I’m hoping next week’s Word will be germ-free!

The Reading Residence

Redpeffer on 5th December 2014 at 9:34 am.

I hate having a cough, it’s so disruptive to sleep isn’t it. And it’s so hard to treat-although recently I discovered the ‘put Vicks on your feet at night” trick and bizarrely it seems to have helped both me and my son! I’m sending get well wishes your way 🙂 x

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:52 pm.

Ooh I’ve never heard of that Vicks remedy, will have to try that one x

Louisa on 5th December 2014 at 11:16 am.

I hope you’re all better soon. We all get a bit tired and grumpy when coughs disrupt our sleep x

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:51 pm.

Yep, same here!

Jocelyn (@ReadingRes) on 5th December 2014 at 1:25 pm.

Oh no, not a great word for your week. I do hope it clears soon and the singing goes well x Thanks for sharing with #WotW

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:51 pm.

Thanks, D did brilliantly, despite her cough 🙂

Little Steps on 5th December 2014 at 1:42 pm.

Hope everyone is feeling better now. We have it too, it’s so annoying isn’t it? That’s one of the reasons why I’m not such a fan of winter. Thank goodness for Christmas! #wotw.

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:51 pm.

We’re still coughing but think it’s on its way out now, hope you’re recovered.

Kim Carberry on 5th December 2014 at 5:52 pm.

Oh no! I hope you all feel better soon! x

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:50 pm.

Thanks, I think (hope) we’re at the tail end now 🙂

Merlinda Little on 7th December 2014 at 11:37 am.

We are having some bugs in the household now too and its not nice. Last friday my son vomited on the streets and like the people just walk away from us =P Like we have this virus and then I realized we really do have virus and they probably just dont want to get it. #wotw

Jeannette on 10th December 2014 at 1:49 pm.

Poor you both, thanks not good. You’re right, they just didn’t want to catch it but it would have been nice if they’d offered to help.
A lady collapsed in the coffee shop last week and everyone just stood there, apart from the manager and me who sped over and helped her/checked she didn’t need first aid.
Hope he’s feeling better now.