On The Pink! Fri 19th Sept 2014

By | September 19, 2014

D is usually “in the pink” with what she wears, but today she was “on the pink”, the pink trike that is.

20140919-192000.jpg

D has never been able to ride a two-wheeled bike or a two-wheeler scooter, she hasn’t got the balance or co-ordination. She uses trikes at school so I knew one at home would benefit us and also make the walk to school more enjoyable for her (as we no longer use a buggy for them).

Special Needs equipment is mega mega expensive, I don’t know why, in many cases it’s a bigger version of a buggy and as for weighted blankets at £140 or so!!
Anyway (rant over), we applied for part-funding against the trike, because – tbh – it was the price of a second hand car!

Then it was a case of waiting and hoping..

I spoke to a nice chappie who deals solely in bikes for disabled children and adults and, by asking a few questions about D’s motor skills, he could ascertain the correct bike for her (a Pashley) and it could come in pink! Our application was approved, part-funded and we then had to wait.

Until today, an enormous box arrived!

It was easy to put together and then I just had to test it out, didn’t I?

I hadn’t told D it was arriving today, just in case it didn’t and so she was really pleased to see the picture above when I collected her.

And then it was a case of getting home and giving it a try:

20140919-193128.jpg

20140919-193136.jpg

Doesn’t she look happy? She took a bit of instruction as to using the brake and not her trainers but had very soon mastered it.

I’ll have to get used to this view as I trot beside her on trips now, don’t worry she steered away from the streetlight. The back can hold a basket so I think we’ll have to get one to put her school bag in.

20140919-193342.jpg

Seeing D so, so happy on her wonderful trike was definitely my Magic Moment for the week. Like T’s school place appeal it was so worth the wait.

T’s had a good day too, a fab end to the week all round.

20140919-193845.jpg

20140919-193924.jpg

20140919-193955.jpg

Redpeffer on 20th September 2014 at 8:52 am.

Her face says it all really, lovely. And I agree with you about the cost-it doesn’t seem fair at all.

Jeannette on 21st September 2014 at 8:37 am.

Thanks, she’s so pleased, it’s definitely a very high quality bike, so well made but ouchie on price!

Little Steps on 20th September 2014 at 4:06 pm.

She definitely looks happy and so cute! 🙂 Love the trike. I think I want one for myself now 😉 #countrykids.

Jeannette on 21st September 2014 at 8:36 am.

Thanks, she is overjoyed with it. I’m geared up to spend my schoo runs trotting alongside her now. It is fab to ride, I had a try too 😉

themummydiary on 22nd September 2014 at 7:02 am.

She looks so happy and I love the colour, you can always get her to ride it to school and then ride it home yourself 😉 Thank you for linking up to #magicmoments

Jeannette on 23rd September 2014 at 3:20 pm.

Thanks, it’s quite fun to ride 🙂

Coombe Mill (Fiona) on 22nd September 2014 at 7:39 am.

I am so shocked at the price of these things, how unfair when it costs so much to be different. Delighted you had the funding, all worth it to see that lovely smile on her new bike. She is going to be a great country Kid now! Thank you for joining in and sharing with me.

Jeannette on 23rd September 2014 at 3:20 pm.

Thanks Fiona, it’s just lovely to see her riding it and its pink too 🙂

jollyjillys on 22nd September 2014 at 7:54 am.

Gosh these are expensive but it must have been worth that super smile. I had one almost the same as a child and I loved it lol

Jeannette on 23rd September 2014 at 3:19 pm.

It is indeed, it’s fun to ride, I’ve had a few goes too 🙂

Tas D on 22nd September 2014 at 1:32 pm.

She looks so happy on it – wow, they are expensive aren’t they? For what is essentially an extra wheel and a bit more metal?

Jeannette on 23rd September 2014 at 3:18 pm.

Thanks, I know, the price seems daft but (positive spin) it’s extremely well made. She’s very happy with it 🙂

Merlinda Little on 22nd September 2014 at 2:43 pm.

I am so amazed of the price difference! Price of a second hand car??? I am so glad you have one now cuz just look at the happiness in her face?! A nice thing to have indeed =) #countrykids

Jeannette on 23rd September 2014 at 3:18 pm.

Thanks, it’s a joy to see her so happy 🙂

Elaine Livingstone on 23rd September 2014 at 6:18 pm.

was worth every penny just to see her face light up I would imagine. It is terrible the prices they charge for specially adapted every day items like a trike. I loved my normal trike as a child. over from #countrykids

Jeannette on 29th September 2014 at 2:19 pm.

Thanks, it is fantastically well made 🙂

Anne on 24th September 2014 at 10:20 am.

Oh she does look so happy, and that bike is beautiful. I bet my Star would love one of those, she’s never been able to ride a bike too, we were always told by the physio therapist that she should ride to build up her core muscles, but she can’t ride, and she can’t swim either, despite her constant effort.

Jeannette on 29th September 2014 at 2:19 pm.

Bless her, sounds like she’d love one. I’ll send you the details x

Caroline on 24th September 2014 at 6:18 pm.

Ah she looks so happy! This is fantastic, I’m glad you got it part funded, seems so crazy that they are so expensive when they can make such a positive difference in yours, and D’s life! Xx #ssamazingachievements

Jeannette on 29th September 2014 at 2:20 pm.

Thanks, she’s loved it (had a bad fall off it) but hoping to see that smiley face on it again soon 🙂

Tarana on 24th September 2014 at 9:16 pm.

She must be one happy girl! It is a little unfair that special needs products should be so expensive.

Jeannette on 29th September 2014 at 2:21 pm.

Totally agree, seems strange when all they’d be doing is making something slightly bigger.

Jane Roberts on 1st October 2014 at 12:54 pm.

It is fantastic that you can buy something like this. I think riding bikes will be an issue for us too which is a shame as we live in a cycle friendly town. She looks so happy, love all the pink #SSAmazingAchievements

Jeannette on 14th October 2014 at 8:50 pm.

Thanks, she was totally over the moon with it. Slightly put off after the fall but hopefully once it’s stopped raining, she’ll ride it to school again 🙂