The Concert #MagicMoments #WhatsTheStory

By | May 18, 2014

When I was growing up “in the olden days” as D refers to them (ha! bless her) there wasn’t the music channels or access to music artists that there is now.

There was one music show a week – Top Of The Pops – and a few magazines. I always used to buy Smash Hits, not only for the interviews but also the lyrics. I’d then find out that what I thought was the lyric of a particular song turned out to be something completely different and of course, the song then made sense (ish).

There wasn’t YouTube or twitter or anything then, so it was a case of making cuttings books and waiting for albums as I was too young to go to a concert. And then the group that first got me into music disbanded. Boo!

Some years later, I was all grown up and fulfilling one childhood dream of working in London, it had all seemed so glamorous when I’d go to Kensington High Street on a Saturday with my best mate, we’d go to Kensington Market and get ideas for clothes etc. That area was just fantastic with the Royal Garden Hotel, the Palace gardens and the Royal Albert Hall. In reality, years later, it was get on a coach in the early morning darkness, working in an office and then doing the return journey, trying not to fall asleep on anyone’s shoulder.

When the chance came to go to a concert at the Royal Albert Hall with a workmate to see the frontman of my favourite former group (now solo) I couldn’t wait.

20140518-233759.jpg

The concert was amazing, the ambience and atmosphere in the venue made it an unforgettable first concert. The songs from the album it was promoting were pretty good too!

20140518-233944.jpg

20140518-233950.jpg

It’s taken a few years but that album is now available on iTunes too, so I’ve been rediscovering it on my school runs to D’s school (before I collect her)

This song – Cold, Cold Heart – is my favourite from it. I love the drumming at around 2min 50secs and it may induce (okay, yes it does!) a bit of a wriggle as I’m pushing D’s buggy along to meet her.

A couple of Magic Moments and also a bit of a What’s The Story with my (old) tickets picture. Not in bad condition considering they’re from “the olden days”!

Mummy Tries on 19th May 2014 at 6:23 am.

I miss TOTP, and get rather sad that our kids are growing up in a world without out! The concert sounds fab, Royal Albert Hall is an amazing venue 🙂 #MagicMoments

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 8:18 am.

Thanks, TOTP was the highlight of the week wasn’t it. The chart countdown was always such a big thing and not forgetting the cheesey dancing! 🙂

Redpeffer on 19th May 2014 at 6:46 am.

Did you used to record the Top 40 on a cassette as well? I remember hovering over the ‘play’ and ‘record’ buttons for my favourite tracks! I like Midge Ure too-fellow Scot! A lovely memory 🙂

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 8:20 am.

Oh gosh yes, trying not to record the DJ talking at the start or end of a song. We’ve met MU a couple of times, he’s a lovely chappie with an amazing voice 🙂

Jaime Oliver on 19th May 2014 at 7:50 am.

what a fantastic thing to rediscover! I so remember using my imagine growing up .. thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments

I so wish I had been allowed to go into town more as a teen .. my mum was strict 😉

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 8:21 am.

Thanks Jamie, it was fab to relisten to those songs again and remember our trips to Kensington. Definitely good times x

pinkoddy on 19th May 2014 at 9:02 am.

Oh gosh you are making me feel old now. And I used to read J17 too and hought I was grown up because I was only 12 lol. Glad you had the experience of an amazing concert – my first proper concert was last year!

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 6:28 pm.

Aww thanks, I felt old writing it. It was good to revisit and think how it’s all changed though 🙂

Louise Fairweather on 19th May 2014 at 12:01 pm.

My eldest often asks me about the olden days too! Guess things have actually changed a lot tho x

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 6:29 pm.

Me too, it’s nice to just to tap-tap-tap and find something out instantly 🙂

fashion-mommy on 19th May 2014 at 1:32 pm.

My bestie was a huge Ultavox fan too. I’m off to see Kate Bush in September and I just can’t wait.
#MagicMoments

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 6:30 pm.

That will be amazing! Literally a once-in-a-lifetime concert, enjoy 🙂

Coombe Mill (Fiona) on 19th May 2014 at 2:04 pm.

This post takes me back, it’s amazing how fast technology has moved on in music, and a trip to the Royal Albert Hall is always a treat.

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 6:31 pm.

It was just fab, such an atmosphere 🙂

Charly Dove on 19th May 2014 at 3:56 pm.

Oh my word how exciting, what a great post. I was a teenager in the eighties so remember ultravox very well. Amazing you still have the tickets, what a great memory. Lovely post, thank you so much for sharing #whatsthestory

Jeannette on 19th May 2014 at 6:32 pm.

Thanks Charly, I had to re look at just how long ago it was! Lovely to rediscover the music too 🙂

Merlinda Little on 20th May 2014 at 3:13 pm.

I remember the days when its hard to be a fan especially me who lives in Asia and my faves are in USA. I remembered those days cuz of your post. I dont know this band/person but he must be awesome =) #WhatsTheStory

Jeannette on 30th May 2014 at 12:57 pm.

Thanks Merlinda, it was just fab. We have singalong sessions with D and, luckily, she prefers the “old” stuff 🙂