Awakenings and wondering

By | October 1, 2013

I was the eldest child in the family and I always felt that I was the one that educational disciplines and decisions were tested out on, the younger ones seemed to have a much easier ride.

For example, when it came to choosing Options in year 9 (year 3, as was), I was not given any say in the subjects chosen by my parent to take to exam level. There was no discussion, my options were not sought and that is one of the reasons we want to include T in an many visits and discussions as practically possible around his secondary school, it’s somewhere he’ll be spending a lot of time after all.

I always wanted to do Art to an exam level, this was refused during Options choices and, it’s something that I wasn’t impressed with at the time, but put it to the back of my mind.

Until today. Looking around the fantastic Art department in a potential secondary school for T today, something stirred. There was so much on display: a tree with aluminium leaves; marble-type painted tiles; clay fashioned to look like fabric, paper mâché dresses and so many different methods of drawings and paintings.

I looked at all these, at the tables which were covered in many different shades of paint where students had overshot their work and honestly, wanted to be there, to study, to learn.

And that’s what I want to investigate, to discover if I can take Art as a mature student. To satisfy that inner child who didn’t get the chance to previously.

I don’t know of placements, potential time commitments or anything, but it’s something I’m really looking forward to finding out more.

Pinkoddy on 4th October 2013 at 8:49 am.

We are looking at secondary schools at the moment too. I’m glad you have the opportunity to go back and do what you wanted to do.

Sal jacobs on 4th October 2013 at 9:02 am.

Good for you ! It’s never too late to learn a new skill or polish one that’s laying dormant. I use to be a trainer, and it’s amazing how easily people can pick things up! #pocolo

Suzanne on 4th October 2013 at 9:20 am.

I honestly think that everyone has a creative streak in them fighting to get out and you need to explore that. It sounds like a fabulous idea – definitely go for it! My daughter’s ‘options’ need to be chosen at the end of December, I will definitely bare this in mind. Thank you.

Jaime Oliver on 4th October 2013 at 10:45 am.

I will keep my fingers crossed you can find a course for you honey x

Verily Victoria Vocalises on 4th October 2013 at 1:33 pm.

Oh my gosh, you SHOULD SO do this! It is so important to live without regret. I hope you find the right course for you. Good luck. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

Kim Carberry on 4th October 2013 at 5:22 pm.

Good for you!! Hope you find a course to suit you x

Jeannette on 4th October 2013 at 6:20 pm.

Sorry, fast fingers…good to know, thank you 🙂

Wicked World of Lucas on 4th October 2013 at 6:21 pm.

Good for you hun – I hope you love this experience 😉 #PoCoLo