Guilty but Grateful

By | November 2, 2012

BritMums blogging network sent out a tweet today, asking followers to sum up their feelings at the end of half term in one word.

My word: guilty.

Guilty that my stupid leg chose this week to come up. I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not a massive issue – bearing in mind how much the Caribbean, USA and Canada have been battered by Hurricane Sandy – but we had such brilliant plans for this week, which had to go completely out of the window.

Our trip to the circus on Monday and a planned cinema trip. And I had a whole heap of things I wanted to get done around the house. I wrote a list on our blackboard wall, D rubbed it off (bless her) and now I can’t remember half the things on there!

In the end, our week was ok. T and D seemed to appreciate that I wasn’t 100% and they “got on”. No school runs and the fact T was at football camp for three days really helped. When they were together they seemed happy to just potter and do their thing whilst their Mumma sweated it out with her anti-biotics.

What I’ve learned from this, life is unpredictable. Whilst I’ve been annoyed about the situation, there was nothing that could be done. It happened and like I say to T, D and Hubbie: move on.

Things could have been a lot worse, although I’m used to getting this infection about twice a year, I know that one time the pills may not work as effectively and it may be hospital time. I cannot imagine how that would pan out with autism, anxieties and routines.

So, here’s another word: GRATEFUL.

Thanks for reading Jx 😘

1funmum on 2nd November 2012 at 8:32 pm.

Get well soon! 

Friday 2nd November – normal service has been resumed! « Autism Mumma (Jeannette) on 2nd November 2012 at 9:00 pm.

[…] earlier post tonight Guilty but Grateful was going to be the introduction to tonight’s diary blog. It developed into its own post […]

marisworld on 3rd November 2012 at 12:03 pm.

Thanks for joining in the BritMums link up and sorry to hear it’s not been the week you were planning for. Life never goes to plan for me and I’m used to changing plans last minute or swapping stuff around, if nothing else it adds a little excitement to the day. Hope you feel better soon

Kate on Thin Ice on 3rd November 2012 at 6:44 pm.

Powerful post. Sorry you have not being well and that your plans went awry. I think children actually do enjoy chilling and pottering and that somehow today’s society does not allow them that pleasure often. So maybe you inadvertently did them a huge favour.
I like your honesty.

Suzanne Whitton (@3childrenandit) on 4th November 2012 at 1:55 pm.

I am glad your week turned out ok, despite the unfortunate set-backs 🙁 I think the world ‘guilty’ sums up the whole of motherhood in general!

AutismMumma on 6th November 2012 at 11:01 am.

AutismMumma on 6th November 2012 at 11:06 am.

Thank you, all much better now. It takes a lot of planning to get autistic children used to change and the sudden “we can’t do that because mum is not well” wasn’t brilliantly received but ..hey ho!

AutismMumma on 6th November 2012 at 11:10 am.

Thank you 🙂 I agree about the chilling & pottering for sure. They coped very well with the unexpectedness of their mum being a bit strange on strong anti-biotics!

I used to child mind a girl who was always at after school clubs, Saturday clubs etc and the poor thing did not know how to relax/occupy herself, bless her.

AutismMumma on 6th November 2012 at 11:10 am.

Agreed, no resistance from me on that one! Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂