Autism – you are not my buddy today

By | May 15, 2012

20120515-094237.jpg

The worst school run ever today, if I didn’t blog it, I’d go mad…

RELUCTANCE with a capital, bold, underlined R this morning. Hubbie was leaving for work later so routine had already changed, thank goodness he took T to his school, otherwise I think I’d be hiding under a bush.

So….D and I set off – she in her SN buggy – she was laughing at the cats chasing each other and then it started: “I don’t want to go to school today, let’s go for a long walk instead. I want to go home”. This was said normally at first and then she started shouting “I DON’T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL, TAKE ME HOME” repeatedly. We’re in a quiet (lol) area so we had some curtain twitching and people looking out of their front doors. Then she threw Bunny – dear Bunny, who is always there for her – into a puddle.

Which made it worse.

By this time we were walking past another school and she got out of her buggy and bolted. Once she’d stopped, she started hitting herself against the railings shouting “I want to die, I hate you, I don’t love you”. When I asked her why, I got a “I WON’T LOVE YOU IF YOU TAKE ME TO SCHOOL”.

Cue walking her along in a bear hug, ignoring the stares, the tuts, the comments. Lots of NT parents coming out, having dropped their children off

Somehow we reached the school gates and she would not go through the door. The Headteacher asked if we needed help, I could have kissed her!

D’s teacher came out, had the situation explained and said “come on, we’ve got a washing machine, let’s go and wash Bunny”. D got up, took her hand and went in without a backwards glance.

Hubbie has just brought me back a mocha from Costa, I’m not in a state to sit in there ATM – cheers!

Kip McGrath Urmston Tutoring Centre on 15th May 2012 at 9:12 am.

Oh Jeanette! Hope she comes out okay – at least the school people were understanding. xx

tlrfoundation on 15th May 2012 at 9:42 am.

Jeanette, bloody well done! I would have bolted too. The way you are managing is wonderful, I can so empathise with you all, and now I’m going to Costa!! Sending love C x

Karen on 15th May 2012 at 9:59 am.

Yep, had days very similar. Why oh why do they turn into comliant little angels the minute their teacher appears after an hour and a half of tantrums, screaming and dragging them through the doors? God bless the washing machine, at least Bunny will be ok. Hope the mocha was a good one!

AutismMumma on 15th May 2012 at 10:01 am.

Thank you, yes….if the teacher hadn’t said that, I think I’d either be still there or D would be home now. It was the calm way she went in after that, I was left thinking “whaaaat?”, thanks for reading x

AutismMumma on 15th May 2012 at 10:04 am.

Thank you, completely agree. I’m at home just wondering how, why, what etc. The mocha was lovely, bless my Hubbie!

AutismMumma on 15th May 2012 at 10:05 am.

Thank you xx I did feel like bolting too, blimey!!!

seventhvoice on 15th May 2012 at 12:35 pm.

Breathe….. Just….. Breathe….. Sometimes it’s simply all you feel you can do….

coxclaire on 15th May 2012 at 3:21 pm.

Hope the mocha aided recovery from the trauma! Glad D went to school (even after such reluctance) and hope you both had a good day to make up for the dodgy start!!

1funmum on 15th May 2012 at 5:09 pm.

Hey awesome mom. Hope you have a better pick up today. Wishing you a better rest of day

AutismMumma on 16th May 2012 at 4:56 pm.

Thanks Claire :-), it did get better, phew. Mocha always helps! X