Monday 2nd April – World Autism Day

By | April 2, 2012

So…*pats seat on sofa*…how was it for you? World Autism Awareness Day, I mean.

I woke up this morning having lost my voice – T and D had their Mumma squeaking at them like a giant mouse for much of the morning – which has now been replaced by a hacking cough (the joys of looking after under 4’s who really should have been having a duvet day with their parents).

So, our planned wearing NAS t-shirts and rattling collection tins didn’t happen, “here’s a leaflet and have some germs” wasn’t going to work. We have loads of leaflets and plenty of time. We did all wear blue though, as planned.

Autism is still going to be here in our family tomorrow and for ever.
It’s constant awareness for us and every other special needs family.

It’s reaching out and educating those who are quick to judge, to stare and to comment – they’re who need awareness.

World Autism Awareness Day was trending by lunchtime – brilliant – and stayed there for the afternoon. There were a few “I’ve got autism *twitch twitch*” type tweets and spammers…so many spammers, but look beyond that and there are people sharing their stories, their pictures, their lives. I’ve met some lovely new people today.

I’ve posted this picture before but my D is the reason I’m on here, sharing our experiences. She may have autism but I wouldn’t have her any other way.

20120402-213417.jpg

Comments/RTs as ever welcomed, I hope you’ve all had a good day Jx 

Steph on 2nd April 2012 at 8:58 pm.

Sorry to hear you’re poorly but get well soon. Hope we can educate everyone, even if it needs to be one at a time! She’s lovely btw 🙂

Sarah Bingham on 2nd April 2012 at 9:28 pm.

I wish I had realised it was autism awareness day today – I only found out this evening when I came across this. We have just had diagnosis of autism for our eldest. It is all a bit new and strange still, for us. For him nothing has changed, but we still feel a bit shell shocked. I thought I wouldn’t – having known, really for a while. For us every day will be autism awareness day from now on. And I agree, he might have autism, but I wouldn’t change him for anything.

theelectriccane on 2nd April 2012 at 10:20 pm.

Reblogged this on Theelectriccane’s Blog and commented:
Don’t forget! If you don’t know much about autism, today is a good time to find out.

mehtaworld on 3rd April 2012 at 2:59 am.

Best wishes from me to you and your family for your battle against autism……. there isn’t much awareness about Autism in here but slowly i guess people are getting to know about it…

AutismMumma on 3rd April 2012 at 10:58 am.

Absolutely and what you are feeling now is perfectly natural, have a read of my “looking back, moving forwards” post… Here with you. Thanks v much for reading and commenting. The whole of April is Autism Awareness month so there’s plenty of time -)

AutismMumma on 3rd April 2012 at 10:59 am.

Thank you, I’ll settle for one person at a time too 🙂